Happy new year y’all. I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas. If it was anything like mine I’m sure you’ll have consumed far too much alcohol, turkey and chocolate, the same as every year, no doubt.
And in the same vein, the same as every January, I have a hankering for healthy food. I wanted to share with you my favorite salad recipe. I had a count up and I posted seven different versions of this recipe on my Instagram last year. SEVEN! So you know it’s been road tested and fine tuned to ensure maximum deliciousness.
It’s a combination of delicious Mexican flavours, and it has everything – chicken, spices, avocado (who doesn’t love it?) and a bit of punch and zing from the lime and fresh coriander. If you love Tex Mex food this will be right up your street. It’s even better washed down with Corona, but if you’re being healthy (new year, new you) perhaps not. This is sure to brighten up your January! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2019.
This recipe serves two hungry people.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 200g sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- Half a red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp of natural yoghurt
- 140g bag of baby leaf salad
- I lime, sliced into wedges
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Small handful of salted tortilla chips
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan).
- Place the chicken on a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper, rub the chicken with the spices and season well. Place in the oven to cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the salad and place into a large salad bowl, top with the sliced avocado, sprinkle on the sweetcorn and the sliced red onion.
- Top with tortilla chips and chopped coriander.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, slice and place on top of the salad.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and a dollop of natural yoghurt.