We eat with our eyes first and there is something about a plate of food rich in all the colours of the rainbow that just makes me smile. It’s no lie, I’m a lover of all foods and in particular salads. My obsession with salads started a few summers back; I went on a health and fitness journey, and I’ll be honest, I’ve never fallen out of love with having huge colourful salads for my lunch. Don’t get me wrong, this is by no means a reflection on how I eat everyday, but when I do make a salad, nothing short of the rainbow will do.
Ingredients for the nourish bowl
1 x fillet of salmon
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 x small sweet potato, chopped into bite sized pieces
50g edamame beans
4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 x small carrot, spiralised, or cut into ribbons
2 x stalks of Cavolo Nero, sliced, removing the centre stalk (or, a handful of curly kale)
1 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes, to garnish (optional)
1 tsp black sesame seeds, to garnish (optional)
Ingredients for the salad dressing
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of half a lime
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C
- Toss the diced sweet potato in 1 tsp of oil, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper. Give them a good mix to coat the sweet potatoes all over. Tip them onto to a baking sheet and place in the centre of the pre-heated oven.
- Combine the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set aside
- After the sweet potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes, place the salmon into a steam bag, or wrap tightly in foil/baking paper and place in the oven.
- When the salmon has had 5 minutes in the oven, add the sliced Cavolo Nero/kale to a ovenproof dish and drizzle with the other teaspoon of olive oil, add the garlic paste and mix to coat. Season with salt and pepper and place this in the oven, alongside the salmon. Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potato, salmon and kale from the oven and place into a serving bowl.
- Add the sweetcorn, edamame beans, tomatoes and carrot
- Sprinkle the dish with chilli flakes, black sesame seeds and drizzle over the dressing
- Garnish with a slice of lime